[Loadstone] Internal vs external receiver

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Fri Jan 30 11:53:07 GMT 2009

Hi all,

"How do I connect the internal receiver and how well does it work?"

Since this question is asked over and over again I'd like to incorporate
the answer in the documentation. I don't own a N82 and the likes, but what
I picked up on this list has resulted in the following:

"If your phone has an internal GPS receiver, activate it, go to
Options/Settings/GPS and select 'phone' in the GPS Source option. When you
plan on using the internal GPS receiver, go to the gps menu and also use
'Save as default'. This will set the internal gps receiver as the default
for the phone setting and will not override your setting for a default
external bluetooth gps receiver."

For a newly purchased phone with internal receiver are there any other
steps that need to be done, and if so, where are these actions in the
phones menu?

Based on a number of logs I have received from users of these phones I
compared them with the Royaltek RBT2110 (the standard according to the
majority of users) and came to the following conclusion:

The internal receivers of the N95 and N82 seem to be a lot like SiRF2
equipped receivers of two years ago. They are usuable for the LS program
but have a few shortcomings. The sensitivity of the receiver is less,
resulting in less usable satellites reported in equivalent situations. This
also results in a slower aquisition time of the Ephemerus data, the so
called 'warm start'. Use in urban areas results in more frequent connection
loss than when using the RBT2110. The accuracy is a direct result of the
number of satellites seen, so this also suffers from the lesser
sensitivity. On the scale of 'Very good' to 'Not usable' the internal
receivers score 'Usable' (middle of the scale) where the RBT2110 scores
'good' to 'Very Good'.

I agree with the argument of having only one gadget to load and carry and
if you are using the combination in a open area it's a valid argument. If
your walking takes place in an urban environment you should consider the
better performance of an external receiver that has proven itself for use
with LS.

				Rob