[Loadstone] Thanks and uploading databases

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Fri Jan 2 14:22:16 GMT 2009

 From Chapter 3 of the Getting Started Manual:

Load Database

Actually, this option should have been called 'Create or Load a Custom
Database', but that didn't fit on the screen. So we settled for 'Load
Database' and
here's what it does.

When you have just started using Loadstone GPS, choosing this option shows
a window that lists the 'Default' database. This database already resides in
memory as it is loaded at startup. But there is also the <new file> option.
By selecting this option you may create and name a new, empty database, ready
to be filled with points.

Most likely, your default database contains points for daily use, the route
to work, the location of the nearest shopping mall and the addresses of
friends.
Additionally there may be points that you have downloaded from the Point
Share Exchange website and imported (merged into) the default database. Now
let's
assume you have plans to explore the Appalachian trail. You've downloaded
the centerline data and discovered that there are over 300,000 points to guide
you along the trail. It's not advisable to use a file of that size, so you
chopped it up in 10 files of 30,000 points and used the POI converter to create
10 Loadstone GPS databases. Still, merging only one file of this size into
the default database would make Loadstone GPS do it's work notably slower.
Here's
where the <new file> option comes in.

Using this option you create an empty database and name it AT_Part1. Now,
again using the 'Load database' option you press select on this new database.
The default database is temporarily replaced with this new database. Next
you use the 'Import database' option to fill AT_Part1 with the 30,000 points
in your first created database file. You do the same for the other 9 files
and finally you end up with the default database still containing your original
points and ten databases that you can load into memory as you want to use them.