[Loadstone] MTK chipsets

Vetrivel Adhimoolam vadhimoolam at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 18:11:58 GMT 2009

Hi all,

On the LS tools page I used the heading/distance calculator and got the
result as:

The distance between:
Point A (Latitude 40.8474900 and longitude -73.9348350)
and
Point B (Latitude 40.7351816 and longitude -73.9940133)
is:

13.445 km, 8.354 miles, Great Circle formula, and
13.435 km, 8.348 miles, Accurate Ellipsoid formula.

My question is: What's the difference between great circular and Accurate
Ellipsoid formulas? Second, Which one is used by LS in calculating
distance/heading? I guess it's specifically useful while announcing distance
in auto announce mode and during the approaching announcement.

Vetri.