[Loadstone] loadstonetools python converter requests

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 05:11:57 GMT 2009

Lex,

Thank you for the reply.

> In fact, python converter extracts not only single nodes, but the polygons
> too. In terms of OSM format, <way> objects are processed. Currently, the
> center of polygonal object is used as its coordinates, but it can be easy
> done to be configurable. Can you, please, be more specific about areas
> which, you think, are missing in output?

Didn't know this, thanks again!

One example I have in mind is for building polygons,  the center
coordinates is OK for most cases, however, for very large buildings,
the center is not optimal for navigation.  It would be best to use the
entrance/exit of the building if it exist.  (I am currently searching
for the proper tag in the OSM wiki.  I vaguely remember this was
already proposed.)

>> 2.  How can I extend the list of amenities to include other POIs?  We
>> have local data added which weren't included and we would like to add
>> them as well.
> To be able to modify list of translatable amenities you need to optain a
> source and install the python interpreter to run it. If you are interested,
> write me a word and i'll explain in more details. But even if the amenity
> name does not exist in list of recognized amenities, converter adds the
> point with unprocessed amenity label. Of course, it happens only if
> converter recognizes the record as a POI.
> If you have some POIs missing which, you believe, must be included in the
> output, show me an example file, which contains the data missing in
> converter output and I'll try to debug and correct the situation.
Some local POIs we map are tricycle_stations (usually used as a kind
of taxi in Philippines)
http://www.philippines.hvu.nl/transport3.htm

These kinds of POI maybe highly local but nevertheless useful detail
for loadstone navigation.  I am thinking maybe a separate lookup table
text file we can customize without the need to modify the min code.
Similar to what kmgmap for garmin is using for the garmin feature
styles:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/svn/wsvn/mkgmap/resources/styles/default/points

I will compile a list for my area and send them to you if it's OK to add them.

> Thanks,
> Lex

cheers,
maning