[Loadstone] Retrieving data from OSM

arimo at iki.fi arimo at iki.fi
Sun Aug 23 20:32:24 BST 2009

Hi

  I have contributed some data to OSM and also downloaded maps for my local
area to avoid entering duplicate data.

  However i have found LS tools to load OSM data quite complex to use or i
have overlooked something:

- I have to first use the geocoder to find a street address. This
apparently uses some other database because it will find addresses that
does not exist in the OSM database.

  After getting coordinates i'll get  the data.osm file.

- I have to upload the data.osm file to another service to be converted to
LS format.

- I have to store the LS import file to the phone's memory card and import
it.

  If i select too wide range  i have to start all over.

  Would it be possible to have an integrated tool in the phone to feed
location data directly in some server and retrieve a ready-to-import file
via gprs or wlan. With commercial products maps are loaded with no user
intervention at all.

--
mr. M01510 & guide Loadstone-GPS