[Loadstone] Too large osm file and wikiproject

Paulo Augusto pauloaugustoamigos at yahoo.com.br
Thu Aug 13 21:06:10 BST 2009

Hello all,
I've downloaded a file called south america osm at the web site suggested for german maps. The south america archive has more than one giga bytes after decompressing it.
Is it possible to select only the data for the city I live in? I live in a city called Sao Paulo.
I've also tryed to find data at the following web page
WikiProject Brazil/SP/São Paulo - OpenStreetMap
I can find Brazilian users, some info about my city but I can't find where to download its data.
Can anybody help?
with kind regards, Paulo