[Loadstone] Help to create an OpenStreetMap in your area
Lulu-Ann at gmx.de
Lulu-Ann at gmx.de
Wed Aug 12 15:46:32 BST 2009
I am using a N80 Symbian cellphone with Talks and Loadstone and I have tried if Loadstone can be used to collect tracks for OpenStreetMap.
If you want to support the OpenStreetMap project, here is how you can do it:
You can donate your tracks.
Do the following steps once:
1. Download the tool GPSbabel from http://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html for your operating system. No installation needed, just unzip the files.
2. Go to http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/new and register for an OpenStreetMap user account.
Do the following steps whenever you want to donate a track:
1. When you walk, ride or drive around with Loadstone, turn the tracking function on. Choose a filename including
- Start position name
- Destination position name
- name of the city
- name of the district
- name of the country
Use .nmea as file extension.
2. When at home, download the files to your computer.
3. Use the command line interface of gpsbabel to convert the .nmea files to .gpx.
4. Go to http://www.openstreetmap.org/traces/mine and Browse for one of the files, add the description you know from the filename and add "blindOSM" and the parts of the filename mentioned above as keywords. click the public checkbox to make sure the other users can see your tracks! (I will publish that the tracks with "blindOSM" are collected by blind users and that other users are welcome to create streets from them)
5. Repeat 4. for each file.
1. If you collect tracks for streets that are missing in OSM, then make seperate tracks for each street and put the street's name in the description.
2. Walk up and down on both sides of the street to get a good result.
3. Do not start the tracking function until your GPS has at least 5 satellites in view.
4. You can check if somebody has worked on your tracks by using the OSM converter on the loadstone web page.
Jetzt kostenlos herunterladen: Internet Explorer 8 und Mozilla Firefox 3 -
sicherer, schneller und einfacher! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser
More information about the Loadstone