[Loadstone] Geonames data

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Tue Sep 16 08:18:17 BST 2008

Please don't create confusion by calling stuff by the wrong name. Geonames
is a website (www.geonames.org) that provides geographical data but has
nothing to do with OpenStreetMap (OSM). The tool on the Loadstone GPS tools
page that is called 'GeoCoder' uses the Google database to extract lat/long
coordinates for a given address and has nothing to do with Geonames and OSM.

One more time the sequence:
1. Use the GeoCoder to retrieve lat/long coordinates for an address.
2. Use these coordinates to retrieve a OSM XML database of nodes and ways.
3. Use the OpenStreetMap Converter to convert the .osm XML database to the
Loadstone format.

The OSM data don't provide housenumbers, area details etc., at least not at
the moment. This will only be partly possible if we import all the OSM data
into the PointShareExchange. The downloaded area from OSM is 2.5 x 2.5 KM.
This data contains a lot of non relevant information that is filtered out
by the converter. However, it first has to be downloaded to get at the
relevant information. That's why the on-line tools cannot handle a larger
area and the information is restricted to streetnames and intersections.

Rob