[Loadstone] Thinking aloud about creating checkpoints automatically

Przemysław Rogalski Rogalski at o2.pl
Thu Oct 30 11:33:27 GMT 2008

First of all, it's fantastic that - thanks to Rob, there are so many GPS tools are available, which allows for extensive point management and getting new points.

Apart from different POI converters, I especially appreciate the breadcrumb ggenerator and the route planner, as I can save my route as a list of checkpoints.

The only problem is, that I have to manually add dozens or hundreds of points generated sequentially in the NMEA file, and not I'd better not make any mistakes. It's time consuming.

Therefore I'd like to suggest a kind of probable on-line solution for effective route creation:

If it comes to functionality, it is a connection of breadcrumb generator and route planner.

The procedure is as follows:

The user "records" his route by "logging" option of Loadstone.

Next, he uploads the nmea.log file to the Loadstone server (converter). It can be done via a PC, or - perhaps - from Loadstone menu.

He chooses language and verbosity setting (as in the route planner).

The appropriate tool starts working "in a background". First, it makes some analysis of NMEA sentences. As a result, all entries, where the value of accuracy is greater than 2, number of satellites is smaller than 4, and speed is smaller than 2 kmph, are eliminated.

In the next stage, the remaining entries are converted into Loadstone database, as they appear. They are named "Point 1", "Point 2", etc.

Then, as a final output, a checkpoint list file is generated, and specified comments are added.

However, a checkpoint is created only if the tool discovers a change of directions (the simplified cardinal one), and if a new direction is kept for more than 5-10 seconds.

The user downloads this checkpoint list and uses it in the phone. As an option, the route can be reversed.

What do you think of my idea? Is it achievable and makes sense?

Regards,

przemyslaw