[Loadstone] Thinking aloud about creating checkpoints automatically

Pranav Lal pranav.lal at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 06:55:40 GMT 2008

Hi all,

Given that data on roads, streats etc., is hard to come by for many
places, I have been trying to find a way of using existing loadstone
features to implement some form of routing. Here is what I have come
up with.

1. The user sets a start and an end location. The start location can
also be taken from the current gps position.

2. Then, a list of all checkpoints between the starting and
destination location is created. By between I mean a list of points
from the destination to the starting location. Of course, it would be
almost impossible to tell directions and since we do not have data on
roads etc., we would need to create the checkpoints in a radius of the
destination. The value of this radius would be the distance of the
starting location to the end location.

3. Great, now we have a checkpoint list. If there are a lot of points,
the checkpoint list can become very large and slow down the program.
the user could delete them manually or, we could use a feature that
would track the route the user would travel. See the next point for
details.

4. Once the checkpint list has been created, a trip meter like feature
could be implemented which would track what points were crossed from
the starting location to the end location. If a point was not in the
checkpoints list, that point would be added. This is required to take
the shape of cities into account.

5. Once the user has reached the destination, all the other
checkpoints could be erased.

6. Now, further manual adjustments like adding turning instructions
etc., could be added.

Anyone any thoughts?
Pranav