[Loadstone] How can i find out how accurate my receiver is?

Ari Moisio arimo at iki.fi
Tue Nov 18 15:39:53 GMT 2008

HI Simon

  To get some idea of gps accuracy to the following:

- select a stationary landmark you can find easily.

- Store this landmark's location several times waiting   for example few
hours between the measurements.  I make ususally about 20 measurements
within few days.

- After storing all the measurements  use LS show area feature to find the
approximate center point of these measurements.  This could be done for
example counting how many measuremest are to north from some of the
refrence point and how many are south. If there are more  measured points
at north  move virtually to the nearest point northward until there is
approximately equal number of points at each side. Repeat this procedure
with east/west.

- After finding the central point  you can look for radius where 90
percent of the points will fit. This should give you  quite good
estimation what kind of accuracy you can expect.

  To compare different receivers repeat the measurement phase  for every
receiver and look for new center point.

--
mr. M01510 & guide Loadstone-GPS