[Loadstone] Just to let you know re: Geocoder website

Jacob Kruger jacobk at cknet.co.za
Sat May 31 12:50:18 BST 2008

This site here:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/geocoding.html

which allows you to enter addresses and then returns the longitude/latitude
coordinates is something useful except that it's coordinates aren't always
accurate, and are sometimes waaaay off FWIW.

For example, if I enter my home address, then it's around 450m off in
relation to the actual point I loaded on my driveway using the # key in nav
mode, and that wasn't too bad, but, for example, in the last week or so I've
entered 2 or 3 different physical addresses along the lines of street
number, street name, suburb, province, country, and it's been around 10km
off.  I also tried one using something along the lines of c/o street1,
street2, suburb, province, country, and it was then around 2km off.

Anyway, the sort of worst one was yesterday when I entered an entertainment
venue's name, followed by suburb, province, country, and it came back around
30km off.

Just think that they should maybe either give you some sort of description
along the lines of what's returned, or else at least tell you if they don't
know what you're looking for.

Anyway, got another plan where I have a friend with the Garmin mapquest
software and we're going to see if we can maybe export areas, or else, just
retype all points of interests coordinates for certain areas into a database
which I'll then try export/import into my database, but will let you know.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA