[Loadstone] Routeplanner/Breadcrumb generator

Ari Moisio arimo at iki.fi
Wed May 21 10:24:25 BST 2008

Hi

  About the terminology. There are at least three different  methods to
create a route, an ordered list of locations:

- Breadcrumbs: these are locations stored automatically by certain period
of time or by some distance from each other. They are most suitable if
someone gets lost or for very complex routes. Because some users will not
know in advance it they will get lost this mode should be started
automatically if user wishes so. In this case it would be better to use
distance-based storing of locations.

  Suitable time, distance and minimun time between storing the location
could be user adjustable.

- Manual routes: these are like breadcrumbs but user enters desired route
points manually by walking the route instead of automatic storing.

  There could also be some automation to store a point with certain
distance from previous point, if the heading changes or user stops for a
longer period of time.

- Route planning: in this mode route points are added when exploring the
surroundings. In this mode there should be an easy command to remove route
points at the end of the planned route.

mr. M01510