[Loadstone] Routeplanner/Breadcrumb generator

Sandberg, Robert robert.sandberg at sap.com
Wed May 21 09:29:10 BST 2008

Hi folks!
You guys decide what comes first of course, but in my own opinion a
route saving functionality is more important than the internal GPS
support. How many people actually have a phone with built in GPS or will
get one soon? Whereas the route feature would benefit everyone
immediately.
As for terminology, I think there are 2 major differences here. On one
hand we have route saving, where track recording  and bread crumb
generating are the methods, and on the other hand we have route
planning, which means using POI's that are already there, to determine
how to get from A to B.
In my mind, track recording and bread crumb generation boil down to the
same thing. You go from A to B and record way points, bread crumbs, what
ever you want to call them. I think 2 factors should decide when such an
automatic entry is made. Distance and change of direction. Say you
dropped a bread crumb every 100 meters. If distance were the only
criteria, a 90 degrees turn at 50 meters would not be recorded. This
would basically produce the hair pin effect. So you need change of
direction in there as well. I'm not in favour of time, because you'd
have to involve speed then as well.
Technically these way points or bread crumbs are POI's I suppose, but
you wouldn't want them to show in your POI database. Why not just flag
them as bread crumbs, the way you do with check points? You could save
them to the same database and reload saved routes at will, just like

Cheers,
Robbie Sandberg