[Loadstone] Astronomic function parameters.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun May 11 02:04:12 BST 2008

[quoted lines by Shawn Kirkpatrick on 2008/05/10 at 16:59 -0700]

>I'm not sure how you'd implement this without things becoming rather clunky.
>If one of the astronomic functions was bound to a key when would the user
>set the time? The first time the function was used? every time?

I think a parameters submenu of the astronomic menu, with the setting being
permanent until its changed, would be fine. That'd be no less clunky then it
already is to set the latitude and longitude via goto in exploration mode.

>This might be going a bit beyond the scope of what the program is supposed to
>do anyway. It makes sence to be able to get information about a current
>location at the current time but it really isn't designed to be a general
>purpose astronomic program.

That's essentially true for calculations which are based on the current time,
but, for example, as already discussed, it's not very useful to know about past
events like when sunrise was this morning. Perhaps functions which aren't based
on the current time should be split and always refer to the next event, e.g.
have separate functions for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, and moonset, and always
calculate the next event rather than the potentially past event for the current
date.