[Loadstone] Unassigned keys.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun May 11 01:56:32 BST 2008

[quoted lines by Shawn Kirkpatrick on 2008/05/10 at 16:51 -0700]

>Maybe in training mode the key could say unassigned but in normal opperation
>it shouldn't do anything. If a key isn't defined by the user but gets added
>as a program default then the default value will be written to the keymap
>file and used. This is so people can have new functionality without having
>to delete there keymap file.

I think the way that part works is good. That's not what I'm referring to.
Firstly, if a key is really unassigned then binding it to an "unassigned"
function which would trigger a sound would be helpful. Secondly, the new key
bindings scheme you describe above could remap keys bound to the "unassigned"
function in addition to those not bound to anything. Thirdly, the new key
bindings scheme already doesn't add comments to keys.map if the new function is
already bound to a different key (which is good) yet the function still remains
bound to the original key (which isn't desirable).

If the "unassigned" function isn't a good idea, and you'd rather handle things
with special case coding, then may I suggest the following three things:

First: Training mode should say "unassigned" for an unassigned key.

Second: Pressing an unassigned key should sound a beep.

Third: The new key bindings scheme shouldn't bind a function to its default key
if that function has been bound to another key.