[Loadstone] Loadstone as a gps receiver

Ari Moisio arimo at iki.fi
Wed May 7 20:34:08 BST 2008

Hi

  I use the emulator with WFA following way: i start the emulator with some
known location, for example my home. Then i select vicinity favourites and
look distance and direction to that favourite.  I enter those values to
the emulator, it calculates a new location based on that information and
begins to transmit a new location data. Now i can copy the new  lat & lon
values to the LS database.

  When transferring locations from LS to  WFA i enter LS location directly
to the lat & lon coordinates  and store the location as a favourite with
WFA.

The program itself is quite simple; it keeps location, altitude, heading
and other gps information in variables and transmits them continyously. If
it receives a command to alter any value it perform required calculations,
updates relevant variables and continues to transmit gps data, gga, rmc
and gsv once in a second. Time information is retrieved from the
computer's clock, there is no need for extreme accuracy. In fack,
a 'sleep(1)' after each group of sentences is the only timing source.

  The code is written in perl and the interface is written as a bash
script. The whole project is currently at prooff-of-concept-stage but will
someday got a ncurses/web interface.

mr. M01510