[Loadstone] Tripmeter

Ari Moisio arimo at iki.fi
Mon Jun 16 20:33:12 BST 2008

Hi

  After trial-and-error a found ure avlue of 40 meters high enough for
Globalsat sirf-3-based receiver, not tested with others yet.

  Of course with values like this the estimated gps error makes no sense
and also the tripmeter lacks behind somewhat for shorter trips,  for
longer trips the errors does not matter.

  Only relation between DOP and actual error is that with hign DOP values
the variation in reported location migth be greater. Another way to
determine the accuracy would just be to divide some user-defined value,
for example 200, with the number of actively used satellites. Even better
would be satellites minus three and tripmeter is not update if the number
of satellites is below four.

  I'll continue the search to find also the minimum usable value for some
receivers before the error increases too much.

  Btw: counting distance in one meter resolution will give wrong sense of
accuracy. It would be better to use  rounded-up values to next full ten
meters or 50 ft.

mr. M01510 & guide Loadstone-GPS