[Loadstone] Open Street Map

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Fri Jul 18 12:27:33 BST 2008

Cearbhall O Meadhra wrote:
> Dear Robert,
>
> Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I think you have opened up the whole
> thing just as I was hoping!
>
> I want to familiarise myself with the OSM service in all its aspects. I
> particularly want to see how it outputs mapping data.
>
> As far as I can see, it focuses on graphical output for its data. Is this
> correct?

There's a lot of focus on graphical output because it's what most people
want, but the project is about making the underlying data free to use in
interesting ways - it's not another google maps where there are lovely
pictures but you can't get at the underlying information.

The database is just points (nodes), lines connecting them together
(ways), and tags describing what everything means. The whole thing can
be downloaded at http://planet.openstreetmap.org/

There are various scripts to load this into a database and then it's
relatively easy to extract it in whatever format you need.

Robert (Jamie) Munro