[Loadstone] Open Street Map

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Fri Jul 11 22:31:50 BST 2008

monty at loadstone-gps.com wrote:
> Hi Jamie,
>
> Thanks for your informative message regarding the Open StreetMap project.
> I'll have to check out that web script you highlighted.
>
> A couple of years ago I looked at using the OpenStreetMap projectas a
> source of point of interest information but at the time it looked like
> there were several .gpx files that contained bread-crum trails containing
> unlabeled points.  Didn't entirely seam useful at the time.  However, it
> appears that things have progressed a bit.

I think you were looking in the wrong place. There is a facility to
upload and download trails that you make of roads and footpaths etc. so
that you can see them visual editor software and know the right place to
draw the map, but this is not the main database. This is a side project
to enable the main database to be made more easily.

> Almost any point of interest would be useful to a Loadstone user (whether
> blind or not) - junctions, road crossings, businesses anything really!

I'll have a go at producing a list of road junctions in the right
format. I can't find the documentation of what the format is, only
information about where to find a converter that runs in windows. Being
a Mac/Linux user, that's not very useful for me :-).

Robert (Jamie) Munro