[Loadstone] Open Street Map

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Fri Jul 11 14:43:47 BST 2008

I first came across Loadstone because I am involved in Open Street Map,
and was looking for mapping applications that run on mobile phones. I am
not blind.

Rob Melchers wrote:
> The OSM dataformat is not usable for conversion to the LS format. We've
> been in contact with the makers and they are not able to provide the
> data in such a way that we could use it in LS.

What? When? It's probably true that the OpenStreetMap foundation don't
want to get into the business of supplying information in lots of
formats for lots of GPS programs, but the whole project and/or extracts
of it are downloadable in OSM format, from which other formats can
easily be made. The question is what information would be useful?

A product called Osmxapi may be very useful for loadstone:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmxapi

This provides a web interface to which you can make get requests like:
http://www.informationfreeway.org/api/0.5/node[amenity=*][bbox=-6,50,2,61]
this request will select and return all nodes with an amenity tag within
the bounding box that covers the whole of the England, Wales and
Scotland in OSM XML format. It may take a long time to run and return a
lot of data - you might want to try a smaller bounding box.

The other kind of data that I imagine may be useful is the locations of
road junctions. These would be a bit harder to extract. Would they be
useful?

> At 7/2/2008, you wrote:
>> This project does not seem to be user-friendly to a JAWS user.  Am I
>> missing something?

The main site is a map, basically just a big graphic that is scrollable
and zoomable with javascript. This isn't going to be usable in any
screen reader any time soon. However, you should be able to follow the
links on the page to the "help & wiki" and "news blog" sections that may
be interesting reading. Otherwise try http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/

Robert (Jamie) Munro