[Loadstone] Feature wishes, re-issue

Ari Moisio arimo at iki.fi
Tue Jul 1 09:23:14 BST 2008

Hi Shawn

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Shawn Kirkpatrick wrote:

> A gps emulator feature would reverse the program, turning it from a client
> into a server. This would be a large complex bit of code with only corner
> case usage.

  Not necessarily. This is basically only one more output modality. There
already is a continuous loop to read gps input thus it should be no big
issue to add code to read the relevant data, convert it to nmea sentences
and send it via bt serial channel.

> This would be the absolute worst way to transfer points between
> other loadstone users, it would kill the point duplicate checking if the
> data were uploaded to point share.

  We are here talking about transferring  few points, not complete
databases.

  If this is an issue there are proprietary extensions in the nmea
protocol to carry this kind of information between Loadstone
installations.

  Even with checking the point to be transferred, saving the checkpoint
list, sending it wia bt or ir,  moving the relevant file from inbox to
importexport and loading it is not trivial for Joe/Jill Average. I also
afraid one have still to store the  point after locating it with the
checkpoint feature.

> You may be able to get other navigation
> programs to give you data this way but that's a pretty dirty hack. Depending
> on the program that may be a violation of the license agreement. If so and
> that data ends up on point share then we may be in trouble for that as well.

  There is no data transferred from 3rd party application to Loadstone so
there should be no legal issues for that matter. The situation is similar
to if one walks to street corner, asks  3rd navigator nearest streets and
writes them into Loadstone. Nobody will transfer thousands of points with
this way and i doubt not with the emulator either. It is also impossible
to distinguish if the street names are read from street signs, asked from
passer-by, looked from the 3rd navigator or got from 3rd navigator by
using emulator.

  On the other hand one can combine PC GPS emulator, braille display
emulator, a screen reader and application such as Wayfinder Access and
gather automatically as much data as he/she wants. This is of course
violation of the licence agreement. Strictly speakin even using the
vicinities in the WFA migth be a licence agreement violation.

  On the other hand again the public map data available on some parts of
the world might be same data as used  in 3rd navigators too.

> The only somewhat interesting use you mention is to use this as a bluetooth
> relay so multiple phones could use the receiver. An interesting idea but
> given the bugs with the various bluetooth implementations getting this to
> work right would probably be a nightmare. Again thoe, how often would this
> actually be used? It's probably not common for users to carry multiple
> phones with multiple navigation solutions installed on them.

  I do it almost daily to gather point information to Loadstone. Sometimes
using two navigator in same phone but usually with two phones.

  Remember there is no publicly availabe free maps for the most parts of
the world.

  However because this might be a violation of licence agreement i refrain
to upload any data to any public servers until this issues is cleared out.

> For the use you're trying to make this do you'd probably be better off to
> make your emulator take a loadstone export file and then do all the
> processing you want on the pc. This would also cover the reverse point
> sorting as well. I doubt you'd do this processing on the road but if so then
> a laptop would be the way to go.

  The reverse sorting of points is primarily meant for way to find one's
way back if he/she gets lost. usually  this means there is no computers
available immediately.

  Another use for reverse sorting is my habit to proofread the point data
after the journey and remove unnecessary points.

  maybe i should hire someone to code a thingclient application for the
phone and implement the navigator in a separate server.  I have used one
of such application and although a bit slower than all-on-the-phone
application it worked quite well including real-time information of my
friend's locations.