[Loadstone] Suggestion for Enhancement

monty at loadstone-gps.com monty at loadstone-gps.com
Wed Jan 23 06:11:40 GMT 2008

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately the biggest limitation to accuracy and precision is the GPS
signal itself.  If you read through the list archives, you'll note much
discussion on this topic.  Instead of using cardinal or clock-face, why
not set your heading to degrees.  It would accomplish your objective I
imagine!

Best regards,
   Monty

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Paul Shelton wrote:

> Well I guess you'd have to be paying attention but the use of the words
> "right" and "left" would be the clue that you are getting a relative heading
> instead of an absolute heading.
>
> It's good to know that the other modes give you relative heading but for
> example, with the clock face, every hour point represents a 30 degree swath
> of the pie and this could be a substantial error if you're using it to aim
> towards something.   I'm thinking of the case where you're on a boat trying
> to aim towards a point on shore.  I think having the granularity  that
> degrees provides would be very useful.  I also like the idea of being able
> to picture where something is when traveling in the car.  If I'm told that
> something is at 12 o'clock, that really means it could be anywhere from 345
> degrees to 15 degrees.  I'd just like more precision.
>
> Paul

>>> directions.  The information was given as the absolute heading but what I