[Loadstone] Suggestion for Enhancement

arimo at iki.fi arimo at iki.fi
Wed Jan 23 06:10:43 GMT 2008

Hi Paul

  Unfortunately GPS cannot give very accurate headings in slow speeds thus
there is no sense to give relative headings with degree accuracy. Only
result would be continously changin degree value.

  I suggested earlier to have user-settable reference point and measuring
user's current heading from this point. With distances of few hundreds
meter from the reference point this would give an accuracy down to few
degrees. This would be possible with current LS by checkin only  used
reference point and reversing  the absolute direction information, ie if
LS reports  the reference point is at 90 gegrees you are moved to 270
degrees from the reference point.

mr. M01510

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Paul Shelton wrote:

> Well I guess you'd have to be paying attention but the use of the words
> "right" and "left" would be the clue that you are getting a relative heading
> instead of an absolute heading.
>
> It's good to know that the other modes give you relative heading but for
> example, with the clock face, every hour point represents a 30 degree swath
> of the pie and this could be a substantial error if you're using it to aim
> towards something.   I'm thinking of the case where you're on a boat trying
> to aim towards a point on shore.  I think having the granularity  that
> degrees provides would be very useful.  I also like the idea of being able
> to picture where something is when traveling in the car.  If I'm told that
> something is at 12 o'clock, that really means it could be anywhere from 345
> degrees to 15 degrees.  I'd just like more precision.
>
> Paul

>>> directions.  The information was given as the absolute heading but what I