[Loadstone] Find & show area

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Sun Jan 13 04:23:45 GMT 2008

There's no real duplicated functions in navigation and exploration mode.
There are similar functions, like find point and show area but they
act different depending on the mode. In exploration mode find point and show
area start from your virtual position but in navigation mode they start from
the current gps position. A small difference but an important one.
In exploration mode using the arrows for anything doesn't really work
because the 4 way arrows are a bad fit for the 8 numeric keys. I have plans
at some point for the arrows anyway so there current functions will change
in exploration mode at some point.
As far as the numeric keys in exploration mode go, short press moves and
long press looks. It's going to stay that way, the reverse way was tried and
the entire developement team hated it to the point where they refused to use
the versions with this in. At some point the keys in exploration mode may be
mapable so the user could set this up how they'd like.
I don't think any of the keys in exploration mode should be relative to
current heading, the idea is to have a stable base to work with while
exploring an area. To have relational data is what navigation mode is for.
In a result list hitting select will move the exploration mode focus to the
current result. If this is done in navigation mode then exploration mode is
entered.
Of course a lot of these changes are coming in the next release, the current
release was the first try with the new find point and show area system.
Getting the find point and show area to work with checkpoints only may or
may not happen. There's a lot of technical problems getting the checkpoint
information to these functions. It would turn a currently rather clean and
optimized bit of code in to a nightmareish confusing mess.
  The size of the database will effect the speed of all queries. This
is
because the database engine on the phone really sucks. We need a free, open
source database that'll run on series60 v1, v2, and v3. If anyone can find
this I'd be very happy.
The search radius kind of works like you describe. It starts off
small creating a latitude/longitude box to search within and then expanding
until it hits the maximum radius specified.