[Loadstone] Find & show area

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Fri Jan 11 02:41:27 GMT 2008

There's a bit of inconsistancy with the keys in navigation and exploration
mode, mainly with the long star and shift star. This because in navigation
mode the shift star was already used and in exploration mode long star has
been allocated to the new show point comment function that was deemed to be
more often used than the find point function. Since the keys in navigation
mode can be remapped the user can fix the inconsistancies if it's a real
problem.
The show area and find point functions are almost the same as far as code
goes but the show area doesn't do a string search. The reason for this is
clear, show area is for looking at what's around you without knowing any
part of the name, and find point is to find a point when you know the name
or partial name of the point you're looking for. A find point will be slower
than a show area because of the additional work involved with the text
comparison.
If you have a small database then getting results will be quite fast. Scale
this up thoe, say 100000 points or so, and things start to slow down quite a
bit. At those levels even 10 results for a show area will take a few
seconds. The higher the number of returned results the longer the response
time will be.
When doing a find point you don't really need fine resolution since the
exact location of the point isn't known or you wouldn't need to find it in
the first place. Having the search radius in kilometres doesn't prevent the
function from finding a point less than a kilometer away and has no effect
on the way the distance is reported.
As far as units go it probably makes the most sence to have them in the most
common representation that people will use for the given purpose. This means
that larger values would be in kilometres and smaller ones in metres.