[Loadstone] Find & show area

Ari Moisio arimo at netsonic.fi
Thu Jan 10 13:38:11 GMT 2008

Hi Shawn

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Shawn Kirkpatrick wrote:

> The new system does something like that. In navigation mode the long arrows
> will do a show area in that direction and long select does a show area in
> all directions. Find point can be mapped to a key and defaults to long * but
> that may change before release. In exploration mode shift of the numeric
> keys will do a show area in the given direction and shift 5 will do it for
> all directions. There's a shortcut to find point with shift *.

  Ok,  sounds good. There is however still inconsistency between navigation
and exploration modes.

> There's probably no point in bringing up the dialog on a show area since
> it's likely to find something unless you have a database with not much in it
> and an unreasonable search radius.

  I still wonder is the only difference betweeen find point and show are
the lack of dialog in the show area -function. For end-user's point of
view two almost similar functions is no good at all.

> You couldn't represent the search results in screenfulls (on what size
> screen?) since there's only one result on screen at any one time. More often
> than not you want a low number of search results to start with anyway.

  There were those quotation marks  for a reason. Why shall i want a low
number of results  at first time. Even 6680 can calculate 25 results - my
current default - faster than screen reader could read the first line.

> Having the search radius in kilometres makes sence since you're probably
> searching for points further away from the current position. Having the
> number in metres would just result in bigger numbers.

  Bigger numbers but also finer resolution. For orientation purposes some
point at south 2.7 kilometers apart is quite useless.

> Unfortunately the user interface just doesn't seem to provide any good to
> specify what units things should be in. By the time you get the prompt up
> there's no room for anything else. Even worse symbian does provide for doing
> things like this but series60 doesn't use those fields for some reason.

  For this reason units should be as consistent as possible.

> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, arimo at iki.fi wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Shawn Kirkpatrick wrote:
>>
>>> This could probably be done but that would introduce an extra step in the
>>> show area function making it a bit slower to access.
>>
>>  The access speed difference is plusminuz zero, one extra selecto for one
>> less arrow down. There is currently six keystrokes to get from navigation
>> mode to show area.
>>
>>> Access to these functions has been improved for the next version.
>>
>>  Great:-) How about following scheme in both navigation and exploration:
>> arrow will open show area -type list in given direction and pressing
>> select will open current find- type dialog in all directions.
>>
>>  To stay even more consistent between exploration and navigation modes
>> arrow up could always be  'in front', ie  in exploration mode heading of
>> latest virtual movement.
>>

>>> I've been thinking of making the find dialog save the last search criteria
>>> but don't know if it'll get put in or not.
>>
>>  I'll vote to put it on.
>>
>>> For the results field you can type in the number instead of using the
>>> arrows. I think the adjustment step is handled by the dialog framework and
>>> might not be adjustable.
>>
>>  Ok... how about  defining it as a 'screenfulls', ie for example ten
>> results per single unit?
>>
>>> The search radius is in kilometres, consistant with other things.
>>
>>  I haven't found any other setting presented in kilometers so far.  They
>> are in metres, seconds or just numbers.
>>

>> You can still escape from the Gates of hell: Use Linux!
>> --
>> mr. M01510

mr. M01510