[Loadstone] Find & show area

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Wed Jan 9 11:22:45 GMT 2008

The new system does something like that. In navigation mode the long arrows
will do a show area in that direction and long select does a show area in
all directions. Find point can be mapped to a key and defaults to long * but
that may change before release. In exploration mode shift of the numeric
keys will do a show area in the given direction and shift 5 will do it for
all directions. There's a shortcut to find point with shift *.
There's probably no point in bringing up the dialog on a show area since
it's likely to find something unless you have a database with not much in it
and an unreasonable search radius.
You couldn't represent the search results in screenfulls (on what size
screen?) since there's only one result on screen at any one time. More often
than not you want a low number of search results to start with anyway.
Having the search radius in kilometres makes sence since you're probably
searching for points further away from the current position. Having the
number in metres would just result in bigger numbers.
Unfortunately the user interface just doesn't seem to provide any good to
specify what units things should be in. By the time you get the prompt up
there's no room for anything else. Even worse symbian does provide for doing
things like this but series60 doesn't use those fields for some reason.