[Loadstone] fyi handy tech sale on code factory products

Jacob Kruger jacobk at cknet.co.za
Thu Jan 3 09:52:42 GMT 2008

I live in South Africa, and while you can in fact get Nuance Talks included
for free in certain packages/contracts from one of the local providers,
apart from that if you in fact buy either MobileSpeak, or Nuance Talks from
the actual local provider thereof, it costs you either something around
ZAR1600 for MobileSpeak, or (apparently) ZAR2500 for Nuance Talks.  This
would be relevant if you either didn't qualify for the relevant contract,
didn't want to sign up for it, or were already using a different provider
who, as far as I know, don't as such provide this service yet.

FWIW, the current ZAR/US$ exchange rate is around 7, so ZAR1600 would be
equal to around US$250 or thereabouts.  Stuff I've mentioned before is that,
for example, my Holux M1000 cost me ZAR1200 where it seems to go for around
US$75 or thereabouts, and while this is definitely off-topic, something
simple like a colour sensor goes for around ZAR7000 this side, where I know
I can get one for around US$50 that side, which is around 5% of the price,
and I actually have one that I bought two years ago for GBP50 while I was
over there.

Other problem is that the provider who does in fact provide Nuance Talks
only offers an extremely limited range of phones you can 'ask' for -
currently only a Nokia N70, but at least, they're trying to 'help' out us VI
guys already.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker