[Loadstone] Porting to Windows Mobile.

Shane Wegner shane at loadstone-gps.com
Wed Feb 20 20:02:26 GMT 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:59:54AM -0500, Geoff Waaler wrote:
> basically told to do some Googling.  Don't know if the
> old blindprogramming.com site would have contained
> anything but I'm consistently getting a "403 forbidden

I think at this level, programming is programming, whether
the coder is blind or not wouldn't matter.  I'd suggest
checking out MSDN or the like for Windows ME info.

> I downloaded the source but am not yet familiar with the
> build environments.  Is Loadstone using any of the Unix
> pipes, forks, threads, etc?  If so I probably need to

I'm pretty sure not.  Loadstone uses Symbian mechanisms and
isn't tied to Unix in any way.  It uses the Symbian build
system which is a sort of Makefile construct but not quite
the same.  A google for building on symbian should turn up
documents of interest.  We do have a Makefile in Loadstone
which builds the app on Linux systems but it can be
ignored for Windows.  I've had success building under pure
Windows using bldmake and even importing the actual source
files right into carbide which is the IDE many windows
developers use.  Using that method, the LS build process
was thrown out entirely.

If I were doing a Windows ME port, that's probably what I'd
do.  Toss the build system and write your own using
whatever compiler you decide to use.  Visual Studio is
probably the most Jaws friendly as people have scripts for
that and I'm sure it has a WINME target environment.  The
real trick would be converting or abstracting all that
Symbian code, I'd be tempted to just rewrite for ME and use
bits of LS code.

Good luck,
Shane