[Loadstone] OpenStreetMap converter

monty at loadstone-gps.com monty at loadstone-gps.com
Tue Aug 12 09:33:24 BST 2008

Hi Robert,

Since we're all about sharing and openness we're always interested in ways
of working better with other projects and figuring out ways to better the
common cause.

In my mind Loadstone (and it's PointShare Exchange) use a subset of data
which differs from the objective or type of data the OSM project uses.  An
example is the nature of the GPX files containing user defined road
segmented data where as Loadstone/PSE uses Point of Interest data.  (a
specific reference point).  In some cases we've managed to perform
calculations on road map data to produce interesections in the form of
Points of Interest.  (Northern North America).  This is not to say that
each project's data can't complement the other and we are currently
looking into generating intersection points from the OSM data.

Another reason that may make adding Loadstone/PSE data to the OSM database
a bit tricky is the licencing issues around some of the datasets Loadstone
uses.  I'm not saying the agreements do not jive (I've not looked at the
OSM terms) but I'm saying one would have to be careful.

At the end of the day there's nothing stopping anyone from taking
Loadstone/PSE data and importing anywhere they want to!

Best regards,
   Monty