[Loadstone] OpenStreetMap converter

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Thu Aug 7 14:23:16 BST 2008

The OSM database contains points and road segments. The segments have a
name and are made up by at least two points (start end end of a street) but
more points in between is possible. The points only contain location data
and no name, unless the point is a POI, like a parking, a postbox, etc. A
complete street can be a number of segments, glued together by points of
the same name and the same position. Points with the same position but with
different names are intersections.

The tool finds the points that make up a segment and adds the segment name
to these points (LS only works with points). Of the double 'glue points'
one is removed, of two points that make up an intersection one is renamed
in 'street1 x street2', the other point is removed (this was not done
complete in the previous version). That's why your new database contains
less points.

Remember this data is collected by volonteers, if one puts in a parking and
another does the same 10 meters away, then the same parking exists twice.