[Loadstone] Converting GeoNames

Cearbhall O Meadhra cearbhall.omeadhra at idd.ie
Fri Apr 25 08:25:34 BST 2008

Hello, La,

Manually editing the GeoNames file would not be the best way to prepare a
Loadstone file. The Longitude and Latitude are in decimal format but
Loadstone requires the decimal point to be removed. Loadstone requires seven
places of decimal in each of these fields and this data  varies from two
places of decimal and sometimes more than seven places of decimal. With
22,764 entries, adjusting these fields would be unmanageable manually. The
next problem would be choosing which of the three name fields to use. In the
Irish file the first column gives the names in a mixture of Irish and
English so you would need to decide whether you wanted them in Irish or not.
If not, you would need to take the name from the third name column.

As a contribution to Loadstone and the point Share system, my brother Aedan
and I have been working through these options and we would be happy to share
the details with you. We are now in a position to send you a loadstone
compatible file of points together with a spread sheet giving the
orientation and distance of each point from your own chosen location.

Rob's advice will certainly give you a workable Loadstone file but I would
suggest that you check the names to see if they are in the form that you
want.

We are currently writing a compiled program that will deliver a range of
functions based on the GeoNames file.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Tel: 01-2864623 Mob: 087 9922227 Em: cearbhall.omeadhra at colibri.ie