[Loadstone] Converting GeoNames

LA Watters lawatters90 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 02:12:51 BST 2008

Hi all,

There was talk on this list some weeks back of downloading data from the GeoNames website . Has anyone successfully managed to convert GeoName POIs to a compatible format and use them with LS? If so, how is it done. I need someone to point me in the right direction.

First, I downloaded the file  containing Irish POIs and  used the find and replace feature of notepad to replace the "tabs" with "commas". I opened this new file in Excel, and deleted all columns except: name, lat, and long; saving it as both CSV and TXT files. I then ran these files through the LS POI converter with no success. I tried a number of variations on the above; what ever sprang to mind .

 what I would like to know is: am I next nigh or near the right track?

All help appreciated

Louis