[Loadstone] Geonames Questions

Cathomas Jürg Juerg.Cathomas at sbv-fsa.ch
Tue Apr 8 19:18:17 BST 2008

hi Mike,
in Switzerland, i am not too happy about accuracy of Geoname data, but this may depend of the provider and hence differ in other countries.
The default settings of gn2ls exclude many poi types, e.g. hospitals, banks, universities. But in some cases, that may be exactly what interests.
No joke,theoretically, geonames might deliver points of type "bush".
Looking only at the name of a poi, Often, you cannot see whether a poi is a hotel, a river  or a shopping center. As long as LS does not include poi types, i would not include geoname data into a global database.
I don't know whether geonames delivers wrong data for poi's with negative coordinates.
I checked gn2ls with the capital of Chile and there, everything was ok.

Jürg