[Loadstone] Checking all points

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Mon Apr 7 08:08:54 BST 2008

These calculations aren't in the background as such. The processes are time
sliced so while one runs it's bit the others don't run. The database engine
has a bad habit of taking a long time to do certain things. This means while
the database engine is working nothing else will respond. This delay might
be less than a second on a powerful third edition phone but might be 5 to 10
seconds on a first edition phone. This gets worse the larger the database
gets. You don't want the program appearing to lock up at some interval for a
random period of time. That's what would happen if you do any automatic
database accesses in the background, even just announcing the closest point.