[Loadstone] Checking all points

Ari Moisio arimo at iki.fi
Mon Apr 7 07:46:55 BST 2008

Hi

  What is the essential difference to perform a 'show area' function
compared to reading the database without user interaction in the database
engine's point of view? If i have understood correctly the main reason for
the slowness int the database lookups is the way how the functions are
implemented: multiple search with gradually incrementing radius.

  Frankly speaking a few seconds delay does not matter because the points
are checked in the background and only the results are used. If the
calculation is performed once in a minute with 200 meter radius there is
still at least 100 meter safety margin of checked points in the begin of
next calculation cycle.

  Of  course just announcing nearest and next waypoint automatically is
even lighter load for the database engine.

mr. M01510