[Loadstone] Geonames to LS

Cathomas Jürg Juerg.Cathomas at sbv-fsa.ch
Sun Apr 6 08:56:32 BST 2008

Hi Cearbhall,
There is a readme.txt in english

Von: loadstone-bounces at loadstone-gps.com [mailto:loadstone-bounces at loadstone-gps.com] Im Auftrag von Cearbhall O Meadhra
Gesendet: Sonntag, 6. April 2008 02:31
An: loadstone at loadstone-gps.com
Betreff: Re: [Loadstone] Geonames to LS

dear Jürg and all Loadstone users,

I think the initiative started by the Loadstone programming team is a wonderful example of how we can work together to create something unique.
Our four colleagues, responsible for the development of the Loadstone program, most frequently represented by Monty and Shawn, have set a powerful enabling tool in motion for free. This, in our commercially grabbing age, is most peculiar and most gratifying. That is why so many of us have jumped in and tried to contribute our own expertise to help out the movement. It is just like that! A movement, like "Alice's restaurant". We can show that when users work non-visually, they can demonstrate just what is needed and how to achieve it. The next step is to make the rest of the world understand that this is so.

What does disability mean anyway?

The answer is "nothing" if people who are compelled to operate using a different modality stand together and define just what it means to operate that way. In our case, this means operating non-visually.

Jürg, this puts it up to you to explain your program so that we can all use it. We have a modality of using information non-visually, but we also have a modality of using information through the medium of the language which we can use. I,, myself, can cope with English , Irish Spanish and a little bit of Nederland's. However, I cannot cope with German because I have not learned it. We have to agree what language or languages we can use in common. The EU has decided that we must all use French and English. That is OK for the politicians. But, those of us who wish to share our ideas must find a way of sharing our languages so that we can all understand and contribute our skills and our commitment to the development of a global understanding.

Sorry, Jürg, about the diatribe. You have taken a brave step in developing a potentially useful tool. However, I cannot use it without understanding German. This is frustrating since I understand the trouble you must have taken to create this program. Do you think you could develop an English language version of your text messages? I would be honoured to assist you in this if you think I could help.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Tel: 01-2864623 Mob: 087 9922227 Em: cearbhall.omeadhra at colibri.ie