[Loadstone] heading display setting

Ari Moisio arimo at iki.fi
Wed Apr 2 10:47:18 BST 2008

Hi

  More thinking aloud:

  Absolute and relative directions   are  both ways to orientation. For
those who have used a lot of visible or tactile maps can probably easier
handle absolute directions. When they are  walking for example to east
it is obvious that the point  in the north  is at left hand and something
in the west is behind them.

  On the other hand some people including myself would prefer relative
directions every time they make sense. For example if i arrive on a
T-crossing i consider the roads on to rigth and to left, not to east and
to west as more map-oriented people might consider them.

  Relative heading is as name implies always relative to current or
previous movement and thus the direction user is probably currently facing
to.  If user turn here those relative headings are no more useful and
therefore a quick way to switch on absolute headings would be needed to
get some idea about current  location. For example if i'm walking towards
home and for some reason have to stop and turn somehow i'll prefer to know
my destination is at east rather than probably incorrect information it
is in front of me.

mr. M01510