[Loadstone] heading display setting

monty at loadstone-gps.com monty at loadstone-gps.com
Wed Apr 2 10:06:43 BST 2008

Hi All,

I'm thinking out loud here and could be way off so if so please comment.

There are two ways of distinguishing direction.  Absolute and relative.

Absolute direction is used when the current heading is unknown.  This
would happen when using a static map (I.E Exploration mode) or when the
user is still.  Unfortunately due to GPS receiver drift a person is never
still.

Relative direction is used when the current heading is known.  This is
used when a person is moving.  (I.E Navigation mode)  Even when a person
is "still" the GPS receiver still drifts (as if you were moving slowly) so
even when still Relative direction would be used.

So, we have three situation for measurements of direction:

Navigation mode (relative)
Exploration mode (absolute)
Heading (absolute)

For those of you that think clock face should be left in for heading what
you are saying is that you would like Loadstone to report a relative
direction in an absolute situation.

Like I say I'm possibly confused here so if someone could clarify there
point further maybe that would help.

Monty