[Loadstone] Gps camp feedback

Cathomas Jürg Juerg.Cathomas at sbv-fsa.ch
Sun Sep 9 18:34:20 BST 2007

On our GPS camp we spent much time on LS training.
The participaants found LS to be a helpful tool, even more helpful than Wayfinder Access.
But we encountered some points which where a bit difficult to learn:

1. checking a point
The students had some problem why checking a point is so difficult.
Suggestion:
After introducing or updating a point, LS asks whether to check this point or not

2. Some forgot to save the checkpoint file.
Suggestion: Before exiting LS or loading a checkpoint file, ask for saving unsaved checkpoints.

3. when the students reached a point, they stood still and wanted to look around what's next.
Because in the morning hours, GPS reception was poor, there was much drift and so, even when standing still, GPS told us we would walk around with 1 to 4 kmh in any direction. Thus, it gave us wrong indications when we looked around whats next with the joystick.
Suggestion: Introduce a command which informs about points in the approximity in exploration mode, sorted by distance.
For example, Shift-1 is the nearest point, Shift-2 the next and so on.
The information might be as follows:
Bus stop 20 meters in south east at 9 o'clock.
(Provide both direction indications, if the clockwise information is wrong, you still have the chance to find out the point with a talking compass)

Thanks for thinking about these suggestions.
Jürg Cathomas
Swiss Federation of the Blind