[Loadstone] Odd Results

Kevin Chao g.unit89 at clearwire.net
Wed Sep 5 22:56:20 BST 2007

Charlie,

Here is information on the Defense Advance GPS (DAG) Receiver that the
military uses. The high lights for me were the fact that it can only be
acquired for use with the government, they are sent back and destroyed after
use; dual-channel using the L1 and L2 bands; resistant to multi-path and
drift.

 Kevin, article below

The Defense Advanced GPS Receiver (DAGR) is a handheld

GPS

 receiver used by the

United States Department of Defense

 and select foreign military services. It is a military-grade,
dual-frequency receiver, and has the security hardware necessary to decode
the encrypted

P(Y)-code

 GPS signal.

Manufactured by

Rockwell Collins

, the DAGR entered production in March 2004, with the 40,000th unit
delivered in September 2005. It was estimated by the news source Defense
Industry Daily

that, by the end of 2006, the USA and various allies around the world had
issued almost $300 million worth of DAGR contracts, and ordered almost
125,000

units.

[1]

 It replaced the

Precision Lightweight GPS Receiver

 (PLGR), which was first fielded in 1994.

Due to the

COMSEC

 electronics inside the DAGR, it is against US federal law for any
individual or organization not authorized by the

National Security Agency

 (NSA) to purchase or be in possession of the device. When devices are no
longer useful or operational, they are to be returned to an NSA-approved
vendor

(usually the original supplier), where they are destroyed.

[

edit]

Features

list of 14 items

. Graphical screen, with the ability to overlay map images.

. 12-channel continuous satellite tracking for "all-in-view" operation.

. Simultaneous L1/L2 dual frequency GPS signal reception.

. Capable of Direct-Y code acquisition

. Cold start first fix in less than 100 seconds.

. Extended performance in a diverse jamming environment.

list of 2 items nesting level 1

. 41 dB J/S maintaining state 5 tracking.

. 24 dB during initial C/A code acquisition.

list end nesting level 1

. Utilizes

Receiver Autonomous Integrity Monitoring

 (RAIM).

. Selective Availability/Anti-Spoofing Module

 (SAASM) compatible (currently version 3.2).

. Wide Area GPS Enhancement

 (WAGE) compatible.

. Resistant to multi-path effects.

. Can be used as survey for weapons systems

. Fielded to the Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy and select foreign
military forces

. Designed to fit in a

Battle Dress Uniform

's 2-clip ammo pouch

. Approximate cost to government per unit to acquire: $1,832

\