[Loadstone] Odd Results

David Greenwood DavidGreenwood at rogers.com
Wed Sep 5 13:22:53 BST 2007

I have just recently started using Loadstone on my Nokia 6682 and enjoying
it thoroughly.  I have set some personal points, plus I have downloaded
some.  I have encountered this odd situation in both sets of points.  For
example, there are three east and west parallel running streets, say A, B,
and C, with Main Street running more or less north and south joining these
streets.
Street A 43.7055564, -79.3919018
Street B 43.7046435, -79.3916225
Street C 43.7037917, -79.3912357

There are no problems exploring north and south between Main and A and Main
and B, but when exploring between Main and B and Main and C, that's where
the interesting things happen.  If I explore north from C, I find B.  If I
explore south from B I find a point twice as far away which definitely is
closer to a southerly direction, but since C is 156 degrees from B, I should
find C first.  I need to use the 9 key (South-east) to find C from B.

This doesn't appear to be intuitive to me, for one thing south-east should
be the range 150 to 120, and the 156 degree direction from B to C lies
comfortably in the range of 150 to 210 degrees. The only thing I can think
of is that since the more southerly point, call it point D is very close to
being exactly south of point B even though it is three times the distance to
point C, there appears to be a bias to closeness of direction over closeness
of distance.

Where this really messes with me is when I have marked points which are much
closer together, say 20 to 30 meters apart, which are my favourite stores
along Main Street.  When I navvigate or explore up and down the street many
of the points get leap frogged and they are sometimes hard to find.

Any thoughts?

One more question while I'm here.  as recommended I loaded Y-Browser plus
FExplorer on my Nokia 6682, but neither would install.  Loadstone installed
like a charm.  What am I doing wrong?

David.