[Loadstone] First test of the software - and one small question

Jacob Kruger jacobk at cknet.co.za
Tue Sep 4 22:12:25 BST 2007

Hi there

Finally got around to doing my first test of this software combined with my
relatively new Holux M1000 receiver unit, and my Nokia 6680 which has Talks
installed.

Basically since I am home alone, I initially just 'toured' my garden, and
set up
waypoints for three pieces that basically form a large triangle around my
house in the relatively large garden.

Anyway, after I made it around the house and was back on the driveway near
the point I did actually label as my 'house', I then searched for the
'garden tap', and switched over to navigation mode, and then followed the 30
second instructions until when I was around 1 1/2 metres from the garden
tap, it said I had basically arrived - and this time I had basically walked
directly there instead of having to follow the garden wall around, so I am
pretty impressed since it seems to have been relatively accurate enough in
terms of the 10-11-12 o'clock directions, and distances etc.

This was literally the first time I was doing more than just adding my
'house' as a point at my front gate, but obviously I have gone and read
through the 'getting started' documentation pages on the website.

Either way, I am actually quite impressed.  One small thing I was wondering
about is how to easily just clear all the checked points since after I got
to my 'destination' I was clearing the checked points one at a time, where
if I had actually been walking a longer route with more checked points it
might be nicer if I could just use a menu item to clear all of them in one
go.  Alternatively, I suppose if I just exit LoadStone, then restart it it
will as such be cleared?

Basically it again comes down to something I 'found' when I was previously
testing the Humanware Trekker thing - I don't particularly want to be
standing in public 'playing' with any sort of gadget here since it might
just generate some 'interest' from the wrong sort of person...

Anyway, this combination will be useful for two specific things for me.
Obviously it will be good in terms of negotiating it around my area etc. to
get to shops, the local pub etc. etc., and one of the other major things I
was looking into this sort of thing for is that when I get my offroad
motorcycle back, I want to go to a large open area, set up some routes, and
be able to just ride around without having to get too many 'instructions'
from anyone, although I will obviously make sure I have someone there just
in case - LOL!

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker