[Loadstone] Exploration mode

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Thu Oct 25 08:34:48 BST 2007

Rob's explanation is pretty much correct. If exploration mode were to be
related to your current heading you'd get the problem of an unstable map.
The only thing I can think of that could do this would be if the map could
be turned in relation to your current heading. There's a couple problems
with this, when does the turn happen, and then the directional output would
have to be changed since cardinal directions wouldn't be right anymore. We'd
need an 8 way directional output system, maybe not that hard to come up
with. This whole thing would probably have to be another mode or on another
set of keys if we had them.
There's plans of making the show area function work from navigation mode.
What points are of interest there would be dependant on the user. Just
showing the points forward might not be quite what you need if you're
looking for something in the area. We might be able to make the show area
work in a given direction but the real problem there is we're simply running
out of keys to put functions on. Maybe we'll have to resort to long key
presses and shift long key presses to get everything we want in.