[Loadstone] Exploration mode

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Thu Oct 25 08:10:55 BST 2007

Ari,

You are talking about the view angle in both exploration and navigation
mode. In exploration mode we are looking at a map, and maps have a tendency
to be viewed with the top of the map to the north. Looking to the north
(key 2 in exploration mode) from our present point of view LS uses a wide
angle, virtually going there and looking south (key 8) the view angle is
not changed. This will sometimes result in the effect of not going back to
the starting point when jumping from north to south and back. I've tried to
eliminate some of this behaviour in the 'Database Explorer' on the tools
page by providing adjustable view angles. However, I don't know if the
phones we use have the kind of computing power to cope with this extensive
sorting of expected points. Again, the clockface approach is a relative
approach and does not belong in Exploration mode. It would be like turning
the map around all the time. In Navigation mode the clockface announcement
is relevant to the users position and movement, because the user changes
position relative to the cardinal definitions of the compass. Here also the
view angle comes in effect and it would be nice if it could be adjusted
(but same arguments as above). Maybe Shawn can shed some light on what view
angle is used in both modes. Also, see if the 'Database Explorer' on the
tools page gives some hints of how both modes could work on the phone and
let us know your findings.

Rob