[Loadstone] Loadstone GPS V0.69 released

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Oct 23 02:02:23 BST 2007

[quoted lines by Shawn Kirkpatrick on 2007/10/22 at 17:26 -0700]

>Since version 0.68.0 you don't need to use the joystick in exploration mode,
>you can use the shifted numeric keys for 8 way look around. The debate seems
>to be if shift numeric keys should be for look around or actual movement. I
>like normal numeric keys for movement and shift numeric keys for look
>around.

I'm going to "argue" it both ways:

The problem with the way it is now, i.e. with unshifted keys causing motion, is
that the safe (or passive) functions are harder to enter whereas the unsafe (or
active) functions are easy to enter.

The problem with changing it is that one usually wants the active functions so
they should be the easiest to use.

I think adding one more function, perhaps to shift+5 (which I believe is still
free), would solve the problem. The biggest problem with the active functions
is that there's no way to guarantee that you can get back to where you were if
you accidentally do an incorrect or unexpected motion. What about making
shift+5 be "undo", i.e. go back to the previous location (where you were before
the last motion)? Perhaps a list of motions could be maintained so that
repeated use of shift+5 would reverse the exploration (and remove that element
from the list).