[Loadstone] Observations on Accuracy with Two Receivers

Len Burns len at gatamundo.com
Mon Oct 22 21:39:00 BST 2007

Hi Mike,

This is indeed interesting.  One question, when outside, did you test
in a stationery position or were you moving?  I am also interested in
something else if you were moving.  This morning I was monitoring my
speed.  I was out on the levy, and was moving steadily in a quite open
area along the river.  I was noticing my heading varying plus or minus
about 10 degrees, and my speed jumping all over the place from 1 mph
to around 6.  The truth was likely around 4.  This was the royaltech
2110.  The accuracy I was seeing most of the time around 29 feet.  In
fairness I had just come from my run, and I was carrying the receiver
in the pocket of my running shorts.  This means that it was swinging
pretty freely which may impact all of the above.

-Len
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Michael O. Hanson wrote:

> Changing accuracy from a number to a number of feet was a great improvement.
> I don't want to start the great GPS receiver controversy or anything like
> that.
>
> Some users might find the information below helpful.  I do not claim that
> these test results are anything close to conclusive.  They are my
> observations.
>
> My testing was not performed under scientific or controlled conditions.
> Other users could get vastly different results for any number of reasons.
>
> I tested a Holux M-2000 and a Royaltec RBT-2110.  I tested both receivers in
> my living room and outside.
>
> The Holux got average readings of between twenty and thirty feet.  The
> lowest was 20.8 feet.  The highest was thirty feet.
>
> The Royaltec got readings of between fifty-five feet and ninety-four feet.
> The lowest was fifty-four feet.  The highest was ninety-six feet.
>
> The Holux averaged eight to ten out of twelve satellites.  The Royaltec
> averaged four out of twelve.
>
> I know the Royaltec is somewhat better at tracking direction changes.  It is
> a perfectly usable receiver in my experience.  If there is some factor I am
> not taking into account, please let me know.
>

> Mike Hanson

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~