[Loadstone] Loadstone GPS V0.69 released

monty at loadstone-gps.com monty at loadstone-gps.com
Sun Oct 21 15:06:19 BST 2007

Hello Ari,

Thanks for your message including comments and suggestions.  I'll reply
after each comment/suggestion below.

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Ari Moisio wrote:

> - Tritmeter is excellent idea.  However it has some drift, it counts more
> distance even i'm standing still. It would help if there is a minimum
> speed or distance to previous locate before traveled trip  is incremented.

The Trip Metre function does attempt to self-correct like you describe.
Unfortunately  the "drift" problem surfaces here and causes slightly
inaccurate results.  We have found the further the  distance traveled the
more accurate the trip metre is - especially while traveling in a moving
vehicle.  Having said that, we'll evaluate this function and will make
improvements where possible.

> - show area works well and it is is fast enough. It would be nice if it
>  could be  selected directly from navigation mode too.

We're working on this.  Hopefully the next version will have this.

> - In show area result list there is no space between item name and
> distance. I noticed this with a  point name with house number after it,
> screen reader red  both as a distance.  This happened with Mobilespeak, i
> know Talks cannot handle these type of situations at all.

We are unable to duplicate your finding using Talks.  The English language
strings appear to have correct spacing.  Please send us an example of a
point (extracted from an exported text file).

> - With Mobilespeak 3.25 if i ask time with edit + 9 it announces beginning
> of time, then read the cell name as i havent press the edit key at all.
> Not sure if this is MS issue or LS keyboard handling issue.

It's easy to blame the other guys but we have not been able to duplicate
this behaviour so perhaps it is Mobile Speak.  We do not have Mobile speak
ourselves (hint hint Code Factory) so are unable to test.

> - I found it is easier to manually edit keys.map file than using the web
> interface. Is there any upper limit how many commands could be assigned to
> one (shifted) keystroke?

The only limit is your phone's memory.  Go nuts!

> - In exploration mode it would be better if  'look around' could be done
> with unshifted keys and actual virtual moving with shifted keys after next
> point has been  found.

This has been debated in the past and it's all down to personal
preference.  Eventually we hope to have keys in Exploration Mode mapible
too so you can change this if you desire.

> - IN  exploration mode arrow keys could start shor area -type function in
> given direction or   pressing select in all direction as current show
> area.

Thanks for the suggestion we'll consider for future releases.

> - On options menu it would be nice if  assigned hot keys are listed  with
> functions  if one is assigned to given function.

Nice idea, unfortunately we are already running out of room for function
strings as Symbian restricts the menu item to 22 characters which is
already maxed out in English and other languages for some functions.
We'll see what we can do though.

> - I cannot figure  out how i can  set LS to  alert  points i'm
> approaching. Approach distance is 15,  approcah time is set to 10 and and
> auto-announce is enabled. What other  setting i have to  adjust to get an
> audible alert before any point in the database? If i have to check all
> points to be alerted  there should be some mass-checking function, ie
> check all points in given radius or similar.

At this time it is a manual (one by one) process.  Mass checking has not
been implemented so far but again we'll see what we can do.  Checkpoints
consume a bit of memory so it wouldn't be practicle to have an entire
database marked as checkpoints if it was of any size.

Dude, I escaped 12 years ago with Slackware and a 2.0 kernel!

Best regards,
   Monty