[Loadstone] Clock-face cardinal discrepancy in exploration mode

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Fri Oct 12 10:26:31 BST 2007

I tend to really like this idea.
As I see it the simplified cardinal (8 directions) are standard on any
compass dial and we didn't have to invent anything. A clock face has
12 standard positions so fits badly in to an 8 key interface. It could be
made to fit by doing the every 90 minute thing but that's a rather
non-standard way of doing things. If we left in all the other half hours the
question would come up as to which key to press to move in a given
direction. This is kind of the problem now. This can also occure if the
setting is set to just cardinal (all 32 compass points). The other problem
with clock face is that every point is reported as being at 12 o'clock since
it is in relation to the direction of travel.
All this being said, is the exploration point direction setting needed? Does
anyone have this set to anything other than the simplified (8 directions)
cardinal? If we just remove this setting it might solve a lot of problems.